If your application is accepted by Legal Aid Manitoba, your case will be referred to the Advocacy Unit, which is supervised by the Public Interest Law Centre (PILC).
The Advocacy Unit helps Manitobans in their dealings with government benefit programs such as Income Assistance (welfare).
How We Help
Advocacy Unit Advocates, supervised by a PILC lawyer, can:
- Represent you at a tribunal hearing
- Assist with resolving your matter through negotiations with Employment and Income Assistance
- Provide direction and information
- Prepare you for your hearing
- Investigate and gather evidence in support of your case
The Advocacy Unit has succeeded in having Income Assistance benefits granted or reinstated and, in some cases, has won retroactive benefits.
What if I don’t qualify for legal aid?
If you do not qualify for legal aid, the Advocacy Unit can provide you with information and guidance on the issues you are dealing with.